Garden Cottage was originally a Victorian quarryman’s cottage in a then remote and inaccessible place high on the Malvern Hills. The cottage was part of a small parcel of land bought by JW Wilson MP in 1893 for his new Perrycroft estate. It was renovated and extended during the early 20th century in the Arts and Crafts style, in keeping with the Voysey designed Perrycroft house.
A traditional English country cottage, Garden Cottage is ideal for groups of up to six people. Upstairs are three bedrooms, with a generously sized double and twin bedroom, and one smaller room which can be either a single or a twin on request. The double bedroom with a king size bed is south facing with lovely views, and has an ensuite shower room with basin and WC. The large twin room also has southerly views, and shares the family bathroom, with its bath and shower over, basin and WC, with the smaller single/twin room at the back of the cottage. When made up as a twin this smaller room has two proper full size single beds.
Down the steep single flight cottage stairs Garden Cottage has a compact and beautifully equipped Kitchen with hand built cupboards and slate worktops. A passageway with vintage coat hooks leads to the downstairs WC. Through a ledge and brace door is a charming warm and cosy Dining Room with a wood burning stove and antique dining table and chairs, and a window seat reading nook with beautiful views to the west. The south facing Sitting Room, with its comfortable seating, TV, books and games, also has a cosy wood burning stove, and a French door leads out on to the terrace for summer living.
Outside is a paved terrace with a table and chairs and fire pit barbecue for outdoor dining, and lovely westerly views. A small sloping lawn is surrounded by a natural shrubbery and woodland full of birdsong, and beyond the garden gate you can step straight on to the inviting footpaths of the Malvern Hills.
With its careful mix of antique and contemporary furnishings, soft colours and vintage textiles, slate floors and underfloor heating, and two wood burning stoves, Garden Cottage is provided with all the comforts essential for a relaxing holiday or short break in any season.
The main features of the cottage include:
- Detached house to sleep 5, or 6 on request.
- Three bedrooms, all upstairs – one double room with king size bed, one twin room, and one single room, which can be made as a twin on request if a sixth bed is required.
- Two bathrooms, both upstairs – one a family bathroom on the landing with bath and shower over, and the second spacious shower en-suite to the double bedroom.
- Separate downstairs WC.
- Well equipped kitchen with electric ceramic hob and fan oven, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine, and larder fridge with top freezer box.
- Sitting room with TV and DVD player, Bluetooth radio, as well as books and games.
- Dining room with an antique table and chairs to seat six, and a charming window seat.
- Underfloor heating for the ground floor and central heating radiators upstairs.
- Two wood burning stoves, one in the sitting room and one in the dining room, with an initial supply of logs.
- Private enclosed garden, with a table and seating on the terrace accessed through a French door from the sitting room, and a fire pit barbecue.
- Private parking for two cars.
- Well-behaved dogs are welcome by arrangement.
- Direct walking access on to the Malvern Hills from the cottage garden.
- A full sized single bed is provided on request for a sixth guest to make the single room into a twin.