When CFA Voysey designed Perrycroft in 1893 for JW Wilson MP he also included detailed drawings for a Coach House and Stables. These were built in 1895, a small picturesque enclosed yard perched above the main house, with stables and coach house, a tack room and hayloft all in Voysey’s distinctive roughcast low-eaved style.
When the estate was divided in the 1950s the stable yard went into separate ownership from the main house, and was converted into dwellings. Recently re-united with Perrycroft these stable buildings are now being sensitively restored to their original use and appearance, all except one cottage tucked quietly away behind the stable yard which has been extensively refurbished and is now available for holidays.
This cottage we have called The Old Stables. Built slightly later than Voysey’s original Coach House, it is still part of the charming group of listed buildings. Mainly single storey, the cottage has an open plan feel to the living areas. It has been presented in a contemporary and mid-century modern style sympathetic to its early life as a stable, and will have great appeal for families with children and adult groups seeking a quiet and easy-going base from which to explore the Malvern Hills.
The main features of the cottage include:
- Detached house to sleep 6.
- Three bedrooms consisting of: an upstairs double room with king size bed, a downstairs double room which can have either twin beds or a super-king bed as required, and a downstairs room with a standard double bed.
- Two bathrooms, both downstairs – one with bath and shower over, WC and basin; and one shower room with WC, washing machine and utility sink
- Separate upstairs WC and basin adjacent to the upstairs double room
- Spacious modern kitchen with split level electric induction hob and double oven, microwave, dishwasher and larder fridge with top freezer box
- Large open plan living and dining room, with G-Plan table and chairs to seat 8, generous and comfortable modern seating, TV, DVD player and Bluetooth radio.
- Central heating radiators throughout the cottage
- Private enclosed garden, in a very quiet location
- Convenient secure bicycle storage on request
- Private parking for two cars, with extra vehicles accommodated by arrangement
- Well behaved dogs welcome
- Direct walking access on to the Malvern Hills from the stable yard entrance
- A cot and high chair can be provided on request
- The cottage has two ground floor bedrooms
- There is no en-suite bathroom at this cottage
- The Old Stables does not have an open fire or wood burning stove
- The cottage is not accessible for wheelchairs
- Teas are served in the adjacent Coach House during occasional Garden Open Day afternoons
To find out more about The Old Stables or to make a booking please click here: